1. What is the relationship between the peak-to-peak voltage and the peak voltage amplitude of a symmetrical waveform?
2. In rectangular coordinates, what is the impedance of a network consisting of a 10-microhenry inductor in series with a 40-ohm resistor at 500 MHz?
3. In Figure E6-5, what is the schematic symbol for an OR gate?
4. What special type of diode is capable of both amplification and oscillation?
5. Which of the following describes a common means of generating an SSB signal when using digital signal processing?
6. What is meant by automatic control of a station?
7. Why do many MOSFET devices have internally connected Zener diodes on the gates?
8. What logical operation is performed by a two-input exclusive NOR gate?
9. How might lowering the noise figure affect receiver performance?
10. What spread-spectrum communications technique uses a high speed binary bit stream to shift the phase of an RF carrier?
11. Which of these digital communications modes has the narrowest bandwidth?
12. Which of the following is a principal component of a direct digital synthesizer (DDS)?
13. Which of the following filters would be the best choice for use in a 2 meter repeater duplexer?
14. What alternate method of determining frequency, other than by directly counting input pulses, is used by some counters?
15. What is the term for the time it takes for a charged capacitor in an RC circuit to discharge to 36.8% of its initial voltage?
16. What is the radiation pattern of two 1/4-wavelength vertical antennas spaced 1/2-wavelength apart and fed 180 degrees out of phase?
17. How can the output voltage of a multi-turn receiving loop antenna be increased?
18. What is the efficiency of a photovoltaic cell?
19. What is the orbital period of an Earth satellite?
20. Which of the following additional rules apply if you are installing an amateur station antenna at a site at or near a public use airport?
21. Which of the following is a type of capacitor best suited for use in high-stability op-amp RC active filter circuits?
22. What is the term for the ratio between the frequency deviation of an RF carrier wave, and the modulating frequency of its corresponding FM-phone signal?
23. What is the approximate maximum separation measured along the surface of the Earth between two stations communicating by Moon bounce?
24. On which of the following frequencies is one likely to find FM ATV transmissions?
25. What is the principle advantage of liquid-crystal display (LCD) devices over other types of display devices?
26. On the Smith chart shown in Figure E9-3, what is the only straight line shown?
27. Which of the following parameters would a spectrum analyzer display on the vertical axis?
28. What is the National Radio Quiet Zone?
29. What is the equivalent lumped-constant network for a hairpin matching system on a 3-element Yagi?
30. What is the definition of baud?
31. How much power is being absorbed by the load when a directional power meter connected between a transmitter and a terminating load reads 100 watts forward power and 25 watts reflected power?
32. Why are third-order intermodulation products created within a receiver of particular interest compared to other products?
33. What must the VE team do if an examinee scores a passing grade on all examination elements needed for an upgrade or new license?
34. What type of signal is picked up by electrical wiring near a radio antenna?
35. How does the maximum distance of ground-wave propagation change when the signal frequency is increased?
36. In the antenna radiation pattern shown in Figure E9-1, what is the front-to-side ratio?
37. What is the purpose of R2 in the circuit shown in Figure E7-3?
38. What might help to restore contact when DX signals become too weak to copy across an entire HF band a few hours after sunset?
39. What is the phase relationship between the current through and the voltage across a series resonant circuit at resonance?
40. Which of the following special provisions must a space station incorporate in order to comply with space station requirements?
41. Where should a high-Q loading coil be placed to minimize losses in a shortened vertical antenna?
42. What is a folded dipole antenna?
43. What would the waveform of a stream of digital data bits look like on a conventional oscilloscope?
44. When using a transceiver that displays the carrier frequency of phone signals, which of the following displayed frequencies represents the lowest frequency at which a properly adjusted LSB emission will be totally within the band?
45. What is the cause of gray-line propagation?
46. What is the approximate physical length of a solid polyethylene dielectric coaxial transmission line that is electrically one-quarter wavelength long at 7.2 MHz?
47. In Figure E7-2, what is the purpose of R?
48. What is one aspect of the piezoelectric effect?
49. Which of the following injuries can result from using high-power UHF or microwave transmitters?
50. What happens to reactive power in an AC circuit that has both ideal inductors and ideal capacitors?
Log in to set preferences.