1. What is one important reason for using powdered-iron toroids rather than ferrite toroids in an inductor?
2. What is the radiation pattern of two 1/4-wavelength vertical antennas spaced 1/4-wavelength apart and fed 90 degrees out of phase?
3. What logical operation does an OR gate perform?
4. How are the wavelength scales on a Smith chart calibrated?
5. What is the orbital period of an Earth satellite?
6. What is a disadvantage of using a multiband trapped antenna?
7. Which of the following techniques is normally used by low Earth orbiting digital satellites to relay messages around the world?
8. What is meant by deviation ratio?
9. What is the resonant frequency of a parallel RLC circuit if R is 47 ohms, L is 25 microhenrys and C is 10 picofarads?
10. Which of the following is the most appropriate use of an op-amp active filter?
11. What type of propagation is probably occurring if an HF beam antenna must be pointed in a direction 180 degrees away from a station to receive the strongest signals?
12. What type of energy is stored in an electromagnetic or electrostatic field?
13. When using a transceiver that displays the carrier frequency of phone signals, which of the following displayed frequencies represents the lowest frequency at which a properly adjusted LSB emission will be totally within the band?
14. What does a value of -174 dBm/Hz represent with regard to the noise floor of a receiver?
15. In the antenna radiation pattern shown in Figure E9-1, what is the 3-dB beamwidth?
16. What is the maximum permissible duration of a remotely controlled station's transmissions if its control link malfunctions?
17. What happens if a dip meter is too tightly coupled to a tuned circuit being checked?
18. Which amateur stations are eligible to be telecommand stations?
19. Which of the following devices is generally best suited for UHF or microwave power amplifier applications?
20. The capacitor in an RC circuit is discharged to what percentage of the starting voltage after two time constants?
21. Which of the following factors may affect the feed point impedance of an antenna?
22. Within what distance must an amateur station protect an FCC monitoring facility from harmful interference?
23. In Figure E6-5, what is the schematic symbol for an OR gate?
24. Which of the following factors has the greatest effect in helping determine the bandwidth and response shape of a crystal ladder filter?
25. What may be the penalty for a VE who fraudulently administers or certifies an examination?
26. What is the term for the reduction in receiver sensitivity caused by a strong signal near the received frequency?
27. Which of the following injuries can result from using high-power UHF or microwave transmitters?
28. Which of the following is a common use of a hot-carrier diode?
29. How many lines are commonly used in each frame on an amateur slow-scan color television picture?
30. What is indicated when one of the ellipses in an FSK crossed-ellipse display suddenly disappears?
31. What is the beta of a bipolar junction transistor?
32. In polar coordinates, what is the impedance of a circuit of 100 -j100 ohms impedance?
33. What is the most common configuration of an optoisolator or optocoupler?
34. What is the cause of Aurora activity?
35. What circuit is added to an FM transmitter to boost the higher audio frequencies?
36. What is the function of a decade counter digital IC?
37. What are three oscillator circuits used in Amateur Radio equipment?
38. What input-amplitude parameter is valuable in evaluating the signal-handling capability of a Class A amplifier?
39. Which of the following types of receiver noise can often be reduced with a DSP noise filter?
40. What impedance does a 1/8-wavelength transmission line present to a generator when the line is shorted at the far end?
41. What is the maximum transmitter power for an amateur station transmitting spread spectrum communications?
42. Which of these methods is commonly used to convert analog signals to digital signals?
43. What is the purpose of a "step-start" circuit in a high-voltage power supply?
44. Which of these techniques causes a digital signal to appear as wide-band noise to a conventional receiver?
45. What frequency range would you normally tune to find EME signals in the 70 cm band?
46. Which of the following parameters would a spectrum analyzer display on the horizontal axis?
47. What is the effective radiated power relative to a dipole of a repeater station with 200 watts transmitter power output, 4-dB feed line loss, 3.2-dB duplexer loss, 0.8-dB circulator loss and 10-dBd antenna gain?
48. Which of the following is the common name for a filter network which is equivalent to two L networks connected back-to-back with the inductors in series and the capacitors in shunt at the input and output?
49. Which of the following measurements is characteristic of a mismatched transmission line?
50. What is the Cabrillo format?
Warning! You skipped 0 question(s).
Log in to set preferences.