1. How does the maximum distance of ground-wave propagation change when the signal frequency is increased?
2. What undesirable effect can occur when using an IF noise blanker?
3. What type of information can be conveyed using digital waveforms?
4. What is the phase angle between the voltage across and the current through a series RLC circuit if XC is 100 ohms, R is 100 ohms, and XL is 75 ohms?
5. How many turns will be required to produce a 1-mH inductor using a ferrite toroidal core that has an inductance index (A L) value of 523 millihenrys/1000 turns?
6. Which of the following best describes the term "self-spotting" in regards to contest operating?
7. What is the radiation pattern of two 1/4-wavelength vertical antennas spaced 1/2-wavelength apart and fed in phase?
8. What type of coordinate system is used in a Smith chart?
9. Which amateur stations may be operated in RACES?
10. What authorization or licensing is required when operating an amateur station aboard a US-registered vessel in international waters?
11. When evaluating a site with multiple transmitters operating at the same time, the operators and licensees of which transmitters are responsible for mitigating over-exposure situations?
12. Which of these techniques causes a digital signal to appear as wide-band noise to a conventional receiver?
13. Which of the following digital modes is especially designed for use for meteor scatter signals?
14. How does the gain of an ideal operational amplifier vary with frequency?
15. What is the most common input and output impedance of circuits that use MMICs?
16. What impedance does a 1/8-wavelength transmission line present to a generator when the line is open at the far end?
17. What type of circuit is shown in Figure E7-3?
18. What is the name for logic which represents a logic "1" as a high voltage?
19. In polar coordinates, what is the impedance of a network consisting of a 100-ohm-reactance inductor in series with a 100-ohm resistor?
20. Why is it advisable to use an RF attenuator on a receiver being used for direction finding?
21. Which of the following is the approximate open-circuit voltage produced by a fully-illuminated silicon photovoltaic cell?
22. Which of the following amateur bands most frequently provides long-path propagation?
23. What is an undesirable effect of using too wide a filter bandwidth in the IF section of a receiver?
24. What type of bias is required for an LED to emit light?
25. What do the terms L band and S band specify with regard to satellite communications?
26. What is the capture range of a phase-locked loop circuit?
27. What logic state do the inputs of a TTL device assume if they are left open?
28. What is the phase relationship between the current through and the voltage across a parallel resonant circuit at resonance?
29. How does a diode detector function?
30. In what direction is the magnetic field oriented about a conductor in relation to the direction of electron flow?
31. In the antenna radiation pattern shown in Figure E9-1, what is the front-to-back ratio?
32. Which of the following would provide the best RF ground for your station?
33. How do the control operator responsibilities of a station under automatic control differ from one under local control?
34. How much gain does a 1/2-wavelength dipole in free space have compared to an isotropic antenna?
35. What is the term for the reduction in receiver sensitivity caused by a strong signal near the received frequency?
36. Who is responsible for the proper conduct and necessary supervision during an amateur operator license examination session?
37. Which of the following best describes one of the standards that must be met by an external RF power amplifier if it is to qualify for a grant of FCC certification?
38. What characterizes libration fading of an Earth-Moon-Earth signal?
39. Which of these choices is an effective way to match an antenna with a 100-ohm feed point impedance to a 50-ohm coaxial cable feed line?
40. What are the majority charge carriers in P-type semiconductor material?
41. Which of the following parameters would a spectrum analyzer display on the vertical axis?
42. What is the RMS value of a 340-volt peak-to-peak pure sine wave?
43. What alternate method of determining frequency, other than by directly counting input pulses, is used by some counters?
44. Which of the following filters would be the best choice for use in a 2 meter repeater duplexer?
45. What aspect of an amateur slow-scan television signal encodes the brightness of the picture?
46. Which of the following describes frequency division multiplexing?
47. What happens if a dip meter is too tightly coupled to a tuned circuit being checked?
48. What is a Class D amplifier?
49. What is the most common data rate used for HF packet communications?
50. What class of licensee is authorized to be the control operator of a space station?
Log in to set preferences.