1. Which of the following is an advantage of using an op-amp instead of LC elements in an audio filter?
2. What is the name for logic which represents a logic "0" as a high voltage?
3. How does an analog phase modulator function?
4. Which of the following is a good technique for making meteor-scatter contacts?
5. What type of computer program technique is commonly used for modeling antennas?
6. What do the letters in a satellite's mode designator specify?
7. What is an advantage of a period-measuring frequency counter over a direct-count type?
8. Which of the following effects does Aurora activity have on radio communications?
9. Why are there separate electric (E) and magnetic (H) field MPE limits?
10. What is a liquid-crystal display (LCD)?
11. What does the MDS of a receiver represent?
12. What is the phase angle between the voltage across and the current through a series RLC circuit if XC is 25 ohms, R is 100 ohms, and XL is 50 ohms?
13. What is an important characteristic of a Schottky diode as compared to an ordinary silicon diode when used as a power supply rectifier?
14. What is the maximum power output permitted on the 60 meter band?
15. How much gain does an antenna have compared to a 1/2-wavelength dipole when it has 6 dB gain over an isotropic antenna?
16. Which of the following HF digital modes can be used to transfer binary files?
17. When may an automatically controlled station retransmit third party communications?
18. What advantage does a Pi-L-network have over a Pi-network for impedance matching between the final amplifier of a vacuum-tube transmitter and an antenna?
19. In Figure E7-1, what is the purpose of R3?
20. What is a telecommand station in the amateur satellite service?
21. What is a Volunteer Examiner Coordinator?
22. In polar coordinates, what is the impedance of a network consisting of a 100-ohm-reactance inductor in series with a 100-ohm resistor?
23. Which of the following noise figure values is typical of a low-noise UHF preamplifier?
24. Which of the following is a way to reduce the likelihood of receiver desensitization?
25. What is the power factor of an R-L circuit having a 60 degree phase angle between the voltage and the current?
26. What is the main effect of placing a vertical antenna over an imperfect ground?
27. What is an advantage of using a shielded loop antenna for direction finding?
28. How should a portable antenna analyzer be connected when measuring antenna resonance and feed point impedance?
29. What system matches a high-impedance transmission line to a lower impedance antenna by connecting the line to the driven element in two places spaced a fraction of a wavelength each side of element center?
30. On the Smith chart shown in Figure E9-3, what is the name for the large outer circle on which the reactance arcs terminate?
31. Which of the following procedures is an important precaution to follow when connecting a spectrum analyzer to a transmitter output?
32. At what time of day is gray-line propagation most likely to occur?
33. Which of the following describes tri-state logic?
34. What condition must exist for a circuit to oscillate?
35. Which of the following is a commonly used 2-meter APRS frequency?
36. What is the half-power bandwidth of a parallel resonant circuit that has a resonant frequency of 3.7 MHz and a Q of 118?
37. Why might a DX station state that they are listening on another frequency?
38. Which of the following additional rules apply if you are installing an amateur station antenna at a site at or near a public use airport?
39. What is the primary reason that a high-frequency inverter type high-voltage power supply can be both less expensive and lighter in weight than a conventional power supply?
40. What is the most common configuration of an optoisolator or optocoupler?
41. What is one type of electrical interference that might be caused by the operation of a nearby personal computer?
42. What is the approximate bandwidth of a slow-scan TV signal?
43. Which of the following types of conductor would be best for minimizing losses in a station's RF ground system?
44. Who may be the control operator of an auxiliary station?
45. When using a pulse-width modulation system, why is the transmitter's peak power greater than its average power?
46. What type of wave has a rise time significantly faster than its fall time (or vice versa)?
47. Which of the following is a typical value for the RMS voltage at a standard U.S. household electrical power outlet?
48. What impedance does a 1/2-wavelength transmission line present to a generator when the line is open at the far end?
49. What is the beta of a bipolar junction transistor?
50. What is one advantage of using JT-65 coding?
Warning! You skipped 0 question(s).
Log in to set preferences.