1. What is meant by the radiation resistance of an antenna?
2. Which of the following types of linear voltage regulator places a constant load on the unregulated voltage source?
3. What is the necessary bandwidth of a 4800-Hz frequency shift, 9600-baud ASCII FM transmission?
4. What is the principle advantage of liquid-crystal display (LCD) devices over other types of display devices?
5. How many watts are consumed in a circuit having a power factor of 0.71 if the apparent power is 500 VA?
6. What is the magnitude of the impedance of a series RLC circuit at resonance?
7. Why is the short-term stability of the reference oscillator important in the design of a phase locked loop (PLL) frequency synthesizer?
8. How is the compensation of an oscilloscope probe typically adjusted?
9. When constructing a Beverage antenna, which of the following factors should be included in the design to achieve good performance at the desired frequency?
10. What is the purpose of a frequency counter?
11. What is meant by the blocking dynamic range of a receiver?
12. What is the typical output impedance of an integrated circuit op-amp?
13. What is the name of the high-angle wave in HF propagation that travels for some distance within the F2 region?
14. What input-amplitude parameter is valuable in evaluating the signal-handling capability of a Class A amplifier?
15. What types of communications may be transmitted to amateur stations in foreign countries?
16. Which filter type is described as having ripple in the passband and a sharp cutoff?
17. How many times per second is a new frame transmitted in a fast-scan (NTSC) television system?
18. What do the letters FEC mean as they relate to digital operation?
19. On the Smith chart shown in Figure E9-3, what is the only straight line shown?
20. What frequency range would you normally tune to find EME signals in the 70 cm band?
21. What is a Class D amplifier?
22. With your transceiver displaying the carrier frequency of phone signals, you hear a DX station's CQ on 14.349 MHz USB. Is it legal to return the call using upper sideband on the same frequency?
23. Which VHF amateur service bands have frequencies available for space stations?
24. Which of the following can be used to generate FM phone emissions?
25. What must the administering VEs do after the administration of a successful examination for an amateur operator license?
26. How should you generally identify your station when attempting to contact a DX station working a pileup or in a contest?
27. In Figure E6-3, what is the schematic symbol for a light-emitting diode?
28. How can you determine if line noise interference is being generated within your home?
29. Where should a high-Q loading coil be placed to minimize losses in a shortened vertical antenna?
30. Which of the following parameters would a spectrum analyzer display on the vertical axis?
31. What is the effective radiated power relative to a dipole of a repeater station with 150 watts transmitter power output, 2-dB feed line loss, 2.2-dB duplexer loss and 7-dBd antenna gain?
32. Which of the following techniques is typically used to construct a MMIC-based microwave amplifier?
33. In polar coordinates, what is the impedance of a series circuit consisting of a resistance of 4 ohms, an inductive reactance of 4 ohms, and a capacitive reactance of 1 ohm?
34. What is the deviation ratio of an FM-phone signal having a maximum frequency swing of plus or minus 7.5 kHz when the maximum modulation frequency is 3.5 kHz?
35. What is a remotely controlled station?
36. What is the most common type of photovoltaic cell used for electrical power generation?
37. Which of the following determines the velocity factor of a transmission line?
38. How long does it take for an initial charge of 20 V DC to decrease to 7.36 V DC in a 0.01-microfarad capacitor when a 2-megohm resistor is connected across it?
39. Which of the following additional rules apply if you are installing an amateur station antenna at a site at or near a public use airport?
40. What is the name of the matching system that uses a section of transmission line connected in parallel with the feed line at the feed point?
41. In Figure E6-5, what is the schematic symbol for a NAND gate?
42. Which of the following describes gray-line propagation?
43. Which of the following is a desirable amount of selectivity for an amateur SSB phone receiver?
44. What is meant by the term mode as applied to an amateur radio satellite?
45. Which of the following data are used by the APRS network to communicate your location?
46. What would the waveform of a stream of digital data bits look like on a conventional oscilloscope?
47. Which of the following is a circuit that continuously alternates between two states without an external clock?
48. Which insulating material commonly used as a thermal conductor for some types of electronic devices is extremely toxic if broken or crushed and the particles are accidentally inhaled?
49. What do the initials CMOS stand for?
50. In the antenna radiation pattern shown in Figure E9-1, what is the 3-dB beamwidth?
Warning! You skipped 0 question(s).
Log in to set preferences.