1. What do the letters in a satellite's mode designator specify?
2. Which of the following would be used to reduce a signal's frequency by a factor of ten?
3. What is meant by the term baseband in radio communications?
4. How many lines are commonly used in each frame on an amateur slow-scan color television picture?
5. How is the compensation of an oscilloscope probe typically adjusted?
6. Which of the following semiconductor materials contains excess free electrons?
7. To which of the following examinees may a VE not administer an examination?
8. Which of the following special provisions must a space station incorporate in order to comply with space station requirements?
9. In the antenna radiation pattern shown in Figure E9-1, what is the front-to-side ratio?
10. Why is the physical length of a coaxial cable transmission line shorter than its electrical length?
11. In Figure E7-2, what is the purpose of R?
12. What undesirable effect can occur when using an IF noise blanker?
13. What is included in the total resistance of an antenna system?
14. If a station in a message forwarding system inadvertently forwards a message that is in violation of FCC rules, who is primarily accountable for the rules violation?
15. Which of the following parameters would a spectrum analyzer display on the vertical axis?
16. What is one aspect of the piezoelectric effect?
17. What is the purpose of the series capacitor in a gamma-type antenna matching network?
18. What is the effect of ringing in a filter?
19. Which filter type is described as having ripple in the passband and a sharp cutoff?
20. Which insulating material commonly used as a thermal conductor for some types of electronic devices is extremely toxic if broken or crushed and the particles are accidentally inhaled?
21. Which of the following is true of a charge-coupled device (CCD)?
22. What type of polarization is best for ground-wave propagation?
23. Which of the following types of linear voltage regulator usually make the most efficient use of the primary power source?
24. What is the phase angle between the voltage across and the current through a series RLC circuit if XC is 100 ohms, R is 100 ohms, and XL is 75 ohms?
25. What type of wave is made up of a sine wave plus all of its odd harmonics?
26. On the Smith chart shown in Figure E9-3, what is the name for the large outer circle on which the reactance arcs terminate?
27. At what time of day is gray-line propagation most likely to occur?
28. Which of the following is a commonly used 2-meter APRS frequency?
29. What are some of the differences between the Baudot digital code and ASCII?
30. What characteristic of a PIN diode makes it useful as an RF switch or attenuator?
31. In Figure E6-5, what is the schematic symbol for the NOT operation (inverter)?
32. What is the main effect of placing a vertical antenna over an imperfect ground?
33. What is the effective isotropic radiated power of a repeater station with 200 watts transmitter power output, 2-dB feed line loss, 2.8-dB duplexer loss, 1.2-dB circulator loss and 7-dBi antenna gain?
34. What frequency range would you normally tune to find EME signals in the 2 meter band?
35. How does the spread-spectrum technique of frequency hopping work?
36. Which of the following is the approximate open-circuit voltage produced by a fully-illuminated silicon photovoltaic cell?
37. In polar coordinates, what is the impedance of a network comprised of a 300-ohm-reactance inductor in series with a 400-ohm resistor?
38. What determines the strength of a magnetic field around a conductor?
39. What is an advantage of using top loading in a shortened HF vertical antenna?
40. What is the most common data rate used for HF packet communications?
41. Which of the following can divide the frequency of a pulse train by 2?
42. What is the term for the ratio between the frequency deviation of an RF carrier wave, and the modulating frequency of its corresponding FM-phone signal?
43. What types of amateur stations may automatically retransmit the radio signals of other amateur stations?
44. What is a phase-locked loop circuit?
45. What is the resonant frequency of a parallel RLC circuit if R is 47 ohms, L is 25 microhenrys and C is 10 picofarads?
46. Which of the following is a way to reduce the likelihood of receiver desensitization?
47. What is the average power dissipated by a 50-ohm resistive load during one complete RF cycle having a peak voltage of 35 volts?
48. How might lowering the noise figure affect receiver performance?
49. What is the maximum bandwidth for a data emission on 60 meters?
50. What is the National Radio Quiet Zone?
Warning! You skipped 0 question(s).
Log in to set preferences.