1. What is the purpose of a "step-start" circuit in a high-voltage power supply?
2. What is the term for the time it takes for a charged capacitor in an RC circuit to discharge to 36.8% of its initial voltage?
3. From which of the following bands is amateur radio contesting generally excluded?
4. With your transceiver displaying the carrier frequency of CW signals, you hear a DX station's CQ on 3.500 MHz. Is it legal to return the call using CW on the same frequency?
5. When using rectangular coordinates to graph the impedance of a circuit, what does the horizontal axis represent?
6. Which of the following is true of a charge-coupled device (CCD)?
7. What is the deviation ratio of an FM-phone signal having a maximum frequency swing of plus-or-minus 5 kHz when the maximum modulation frequency is 3 kHz?
8. What is a common use for point contact diodes?
9. When may an automatically controlled station retransmit third party communications?
10. Which of the following tests establishes that a silicon NPN junction transistor is biased on?
11. What would the waveform of a stream of digital data bits look like on a conventional oscilloscope?
12. Why is a phase-locked loop often used as part of a variable frequency synthesizer for receivers and transmitters?
13. Which emission mode is best for Aurora propagation?
14. In Figure E7-1, what is the purpose of R3?
15. What absolute voltage gain can be expected from the circuit in Figure E7-4 when R1 is 3300 ohms and RF is 47 kilohms?
16. What is the resonant frequency of a parallel RLC circuit if R is 33 ohms, L is 50 microhenrys and C is 10 picofarads?
17. What is the power factor of an RL circuit having a 30 degree phase angle between the voltage and the current?
18. What is the term for unwanted signals generated by the mixing of two or more signals?
19. What logical operation does an OR gate perform?
20. What is a folded dipole antenna?
21. Which of the following is performed by a frequency counter?
22. Which of the following is a good technique for making meteor-scatter contacts?
23. Which of the following can be calculated using a Smith chart?
24. Which of the following digital modes is especially useful for EME communications?
25. What is the effect of a terminating resistor on a rhombic antenna?
26. What is vestigial sideband modulation?
27. What types of communications may be transmitted to amateur stations in foreign countries?
28. Which amateur stations may be operated in RACES?
29. How can the output voltage of a multi-turn receiving loop antenna be increased?
30. What is the typical bandwidth of a properly modulated MFSK16 signal?
31. What is the beta of a bipolar junction transistor?
32. What is the purpose of a Wilkinson divider?
33. What is the most common configuration of an optoisolator or optocoupler?
34. What is one advantage of using a trapped antenna?
35. What class of licensee is authorized to be the control operator of a space station?
36. To which of the following examinees may a VE not administer an examination?
37. Which of the following is an advantage of CMOS logic devices over TTL devices?
38. How can conducted and radiated noise caused by an automobile alternator be suppressed?
39. What is the orbital period of an Earth satellite?
40. Which of the following must be done to insure that a crystal oscillator provides the frequency specified by the crystal manufacturer?
41. What type of digital signal processing filter might be used to generate an SSB signal?
42. How can the approximate beamwidth in a given plane of a directional antenna be determined?
43. Why is the physical length of a coaxial cable transmission line shorter than its electrical length?
44. What is one advantage of using the ASCII code for data communications?
45. How does an analog phase modulator function?
46. What is the significance of voltmeter sensitivity expressed in ohms per volt?
47. What is the best time of day for transequatorial propagation?
48. How might lowering the noise figure affect receiver performance?
49. What is meant by circularly polarized electromagnetic waves?
50. How may dangerous levels of carbon monoxide from an emergency generator be detected?
Warning! You skipped 0 question(s).
Log in to set preferences.