1. What is the cause of gray-line propagation?
2. What type of circuit is shown in Figure E7-1?
3. What do the letters FEC mean as they relate to digital operation?
4. How might lowering the noise figure affect receiver performance?
5. What is a truth table?
6. What does a third-order intercept level of 40 dBm mean with respect to receiver performance?
7. Which of the following conditions apply when transmitting spread spectrum emission?
8. What is meant by antenna gain?
9. Why might a DX station state that they are listening on another frequency?
10. Why is the short-term stability of the reference oscillator important in the design of a phase locked loop (PLL) frequency synthesizer?
11. How must the driven element in a 3-element Yagi be tuned to use a hairpin matching system?
12. What is the direction of a descending pass for an amateur satellite?
13. Which of the following describes the construction of a receiving loop antenna?
14. Which is NOT true of a charge-coupled device (CCD)?
15. What is the radiation pattern of two 1/4-wavelength vertical antennas spaced 1/2-wavelength apart and fed 180 degrees out of phase?
16. What is the advantage of using a peak-reading wattmeter to monitor the output of a SSB phone transmitter?
17. In Figure E6-2, what is the schematic symbol for an N-channel dual-gate MOSFET?
18. Which amateur stations are eligible to operate as Earth stations?
19. How can an APRS station be used to help support a public service communications activity?
20. Which of the following filters would be the best choice for use in a 2 meter repeater duplexer?
21. What is the term for the ratio between the frequency deviation of an RF carrier wave, and the modulating frequency of its corresponding FM-phone signal?
22. What impedance does a 1/8-wavelength transmission line present to a generator when the line is open at the far end?
23. What determines the accuracy of a frequency counter?
24. Who must be in physical control of the station apparatus of an amateur station aboard any vessel or craft that is documented or registered in the United States?
25. What would the waveform of a stream of digital data bits look like on a conventional oscilloscope?
26. What is the most common configuration of an optoisolator or optocoupler?
27. What is the effect of ringing in a filter?
28. Which of the following types of linear voltage regulator places a constant load on the unregulated voltage source?
29. How do the control operator responsibilities of a station under automatic control differ from one under local control?
30. Why is the resistance of a conductor different for RF currents than for direct currents?
31. Which of the following can be calculated using a Smith chart?
32. What type of bias is required for an LED to emit light?
33. What is the recommended power supply voltage for TTL series integrated circuits?
34. Which of the following types of receiver noise can often be reduced by use of a receiver noise blanker?
35. When a meteor strikes the Earth's atmosphere, a cylindrical region of free electrons is formed at what layer of the ionosphere?
36. What is the magnitude of the impedance of a circuit with a resistor, an inductor and a capacitor all in parallel, at resonance?
37. What is the most common input and output impedance of circuits that use MMICs?
38. In polar coordinates, what is the impedance of a series circuit consisting of a resistance of 4 ohms, an inductive reactance of 4 ohms, and a capacitive reactance of 1 ohm?
39. What are the principal frequencies that appear at the output of a mixer circuit?
40. Why should an HF mobile antenna loading coil have a high ratio of reactance to resistance?
41. What is the relationship between the current through a capacitor and the voltage across a capacitor?
42. In the antenna radiation pattern shown in Figure E9-1, what is the 3-dB beamwidth?
43. What is the highest modulation index permitted at the highest modulation frequency for angle modulation?
44. What is the name of the signal component that carries color information in NTSC video?
45. Which of the following parameters would a spectrum analyzer display on the vertical axis?
46. What material found in some electronic components such as high-voltage capacitors and transformers is considered toxic?
47. For which types of out-of-pocket expenses do the Part 97 rules state that VEs and VECs may be reimbursed?
48. What is the advantage of including a parity bit with an ASCII character stream?
49. How should a portable antenna analyzer be connected when measuring antenna resonance and feed point impedance?
50. Which of the following effects does Aurora activity have on radio communications?
Log in to set preferences.