1. What is the definition of the term telemetry?
2. Which of the following is good practice when using an oscilloscope probe?
3. Which of the following is true about contest operating?
4. What is the failure mechanism when a junction diode fails due to excessive current?
5. Which of the following constitutes a spurious emission?
6. What happens to feed point impedance at the base of a fixed-length HF mobile antenna as the frequency of operation is lowered?
7. How many output level changes are obtained for every two trigger pulses applied to the input of a T flip-flop circuit?
8. What should a VE do if a candidate fails to comply with the examiner's instructions during an amateur operator license examination?
9. What does the abbreviation NEC stand for when applied to antenna modeling programs?
10. Which of the following is the common name for a filter network which is equivalent to two L networks connected back-to-back with the inductors in series and the capacitors in shunt at the input and output?
11. How many horizontal lines make up a fast-scan (NTSC) television frame?
12. What is the triangulation method of direction finding?
13. What is a remotely controlled station?
14. Which of the following is the primary advantage of tri-state logic?
15. In polar coordinates, what is the impedance of a network consisting of a 100-ohm-reactance inductor in series with a 100-ohm resistor?
16. When may an amateur station send a message to a business?
17. Which of the following techniques is typically used to construct a MMIC-based microwave amplifier?
18. What is meant by circularly polarized electromagnetic waves?
19. Which of the following data are used by the APRS network to communicate your location?
20. Which of the following test instruments is used to display spurious signals from a radio transmitter?
21. Which of the following HF digital modes can be used to transfer binary files?
22. Which of the following injuries can result from using high-power UHF or microwave transmitters?
23. What is the time constant of a circuit having two 220-microfarad capacitors and two 1-megohm resistors, all in parallel?
24. In what direction is the magnetic field oriented about a conductor in relation to the direction of electron flow?
25. What is one important reason for using powdered-iron toroids rather than ferrite toroids in an inductor?
26. What is the resonant frequency of a series RLC circuit if R is 56 ohms, L is 40 microhenrys and C is 200 picofarads?
27. What is the main effect of placing a vertical antenna over an imperfect ground?
28. What condition must exist for a circuit to oscillate?
29. What is the equivalent lumped-constant network for a hairpin matching system on a 3-element Yagi?
30. What is the name of the high-angle wave in HF propagation that travels for some distance within the F2 region?
31. What is the primary reason that a high-frequency inverter type high-voltage power supply can be both less expensive and lighter in weight than a conventional power supply?
32. What is the modulation index of an FM-phone signal having a maximum frequency deviation of 3000 Hz either side of the carrier frequency, when the modulating frequency is 1000 Hz?
33. Which of the following types of signals can be relayed through a linear transponder?
34. What is the necessary bandwidth of a 13-WPM international Morse code transmission?
35. What is a Class D amplifier?
36. What term indicates the frequency at which the grounded-base current gain of a transistor has decreased to 0.7 of the gain obtainable at 1 kHz?
37. How can intermodulation interference between two repeaters occur?
38. What is the most common configuration of an optoisolator or optocoupler?
39. What is the purpose of a frequency counter?
40. What type of chart is shown in Figure E9-3?
41. Which of the following types of receiver noise can often be reduced with a DSP noise filter?
42. What is meant by direct conversion when referring to a software defined receiver?
43. What characterizes libration fading of an Earth-Moon-Earth signal?
44. Which of the following is an advantage of using an op-amp instead of LC elements in an audio filter?
45. A CW receiver with the AGC off has an equivalent input noise power density of -174 dBm/Hz. What would be the level of an unmodulated carrier input to this receiver that would yield an audio output SNR of 0 dB in a 400 Hz noise bandwidth?
46. Which amateur bands typically support long-path propagation?
47. What is meant by antenna bandwidth?
48. What type of information can be conveyed using digital waveforms?
49. What is the first action you should take if your digital message forwarding station inadvertently forwards a communication that violates FCC rules?
50. What impedance does a 1/4-wavelength transmission line present to a generator when the line is open at the far end?
Warning! You skipped 0 question(s).
Log in to set preferences.