1. What is the velocity factor of a transmission line?
2. Which of the following frequency ranges is well suited for meteor-scatter communications?
3. During a VHF/UHF contest, in which band segment would you expect to find the highest level of activity?
4. What is an effective way of matching a feed line to a VHF or UHF antenna when the impedances of both the antenna and feed line are unknown?
5. Which of the following is often determined using a Smith chart?
6. What is BiCMOS logic?
7. What is the only amateur band where transmission on specific channels rather than a range of frequencies is permitted?
8. What is a characteristic of a monostable multivibrator?
9. If a frequency counter with a specified accuracy of +/- 1.0 ppm reads 146,520,000 Hz, what is the most the actual frequency being measured could differ from the reading?
10. Which of the following describes the most significant effect of an off-frequency signal when it is causing cross-modulation interference to a desired signal?
11. A T-network with series capacitors and a parallel shunt inductor has which of the following properties?
12. What is one aspect of the piezoelectric effect?
13. Which point on Figure E5-2 best represents that impedance of a series circuit consisting of a 400 ohm resistor and a 38 picofarad capacitor at 14 MHz?
14. How is Forward Error Correction implemented?
15. What is the best time of day for transequatorial propagation?
16. What is the amateur satellite service?
17. How can the true power be determined in an AC circuit where the voltage and current are out of phase?
18. In Figure E7-1, what is the purpose of R3?
19. Why may the received signal from an amateur satellite exhibit a rapidly repeating fading effect?
20. What is the most common type of photovoltaic cell used for electrical power generation?
21. What can cause the voltage across reactances in series to be larger than the voltage applied to them?
22. What is the advantage of including a parity bit with an ASCII character stream?
23. What is the term for the time it takes for a charged capacitor in an RC circuit to discharge to 36.8% of its initial voltage?
24. When evaluating RF exposure levels from your station at a neighbor's home, what must you do?
25. What would be the most accurate way of measuring the RMS voltage of a complex waveform?
26. What characteristic of a cardioid-pattern antenna is useful for direction finding?
27. What is the RMS value of a 340-volt peak-to-peak pure sine wave?
28. What is the effect of a terminating resistor on a rhombic antenna?
29. What is the maximum permissible duration of a remotely controlled station's transmissions if its control link malfunctions?
30. Which of the following is a technique for providing high stability oscillators needed for microwave transmission and reception?
31. What is the name of the high-angle wave in HF propagation that travels for some distance within the F2 region?
32. What is used to control the attenuation of RF signals by a PIN diode?
33. Which of the following test instruments is used to display intermodulation distortion products in an SSB transmission?
34. How does the gain of an ideal operational amplifier vary with frequency?
35. Which of the following is an acceptable bandwidth for Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) based voice or SSTV digital transmissions made on the HF amateur bands?
36. What information is contained in the lookup table of a direct digital frequency synthesizer?
37. On which of the following frequencies might a signal be transmitting which is generating a spurious image signal in a receiver tuned to 14.300 MHz and which uses a 455 kHz IF frequency?
38. Which of the following can be used to generate FM phone emissions?
39. Which of the following would provide the best RF ground for your station?
40. Which of the following semiconductor materials contains excess free electrons?
41. What is the purpose of C2 in the circuit shown in Figure E7-3?
42. Which of the following signals might a receiver noise blanker be able to remove from desired signals?
43. How does the total amount of radiation emitted by a directional gain antenna compare with the total amount of radiation emitted from an isotropic antenna, assuming each is driven by the same amount of power?
44. Which of the following types of packet frames is used to transmit APRS beacon data?
45. Which is NOT true of a charge-coupled device (CCD)?
46. What must the VE team do with the application form if the examinee does not pass the exam?
47. Which of the following antennas has no gain in any direction?
48. Where must the carrier frequency of a CW signal be set to comply with FCC rules for 60 meter operation?
49. What is digital time division multiplexing?
50. What types of communications may be transmitted to amateur stations in foreign countries?
Warning! You skipped 0 question(s).
Log in to set preferences.