1. What is the main effect of placing a vertical antenna over an imperfect ground?
2. What is a major cause of atmospheric static?
3. What is the resonant frequency of a parallel RLC circuit if R is 47 ohms, L is 25 microhenrys and C is 10 picofarads?
4. In Figure E6-3, what is the schematic symbol for a light-emitting diode?
5. When evaluating RF exposure levels from your station at a neighbor's home, what must you do?
6. What system matches a high-impedance transmission line to a lower impedance antenna by connecting the line to the driven element in two places spaced a fraction of a wavelength each side of element center?
7. What signals SSTV receiving equipment to begin a new picture line?
8. What is the relationship between the current through an inductor and the voltage across an inductor?
9. What is the beta of a bipolar junction transistor?
10. What term describes station output, including the transmitter, antenna and everything in between, when considering transmitter power and system gains and losses?
11. What is the purpose of a frequency counter?
12. What is an electromagnetic wave?
13. Which of the following digital modes is especially designed for use for meteor scatter signals?
14. Which of the following may reduce or eliminate intermodulation interference in a repeater caused by another transmitter operating in close proximity?
15. Which of the following conditions apply when transmitting spread spectrum emission?
16. Which of the following is a likely result when a Class C amplifier is used to amplify a single-sideband phone signal?
17. What is the term for the blocking of one FM phone signal by another, stronger FM phone signal?
18. What are the consequences of failing to appear for re-administration of an examination when so directed by the FCC?
19. How should a portable antenna analyzer be connected when measuring antenna resonance and feed point impedance?
20. How does an analog phase modulator function?
21. What type of circuit is shown in Figure E7-3?
22. What is a crystal lattice filter?
23. How much power is consumed in a circuit consisting of a 100 ohm resistor in series with a 100 ohm inductive reactance drawing 1 ampere?
24. What is the cause of gray-line propagation?
25. Which of the following factors might cause the physical location of an amateur station apparatus or antenna structure to be restricted?
26. In Figure E6-5, what is the schematic symbol for an AND gate?
27. What is the name for logic which represents a logic "0" as a high voltage?
28. What is the name of the high-angle wave in HF propagation that travels for some distance within the F2 region?
29. On the Smith chart shown in Figure E9-3, what is the name for the large outer circle on which the reactance arcs terminate?
30. How does the beamwidth of an antenna vary as the gain is increased?
31. Why is a phase-locked loop often used as part of a variable frequency synthesizer for receivers and transmitters?
32. Which filter type is described as having ripple in the passband and a sharp cutoff?
33. Which amateur stations are eligible to operate as Earth stations?
34. Which of these techniques causes a digital signal to appear as wide-band noise to a conventional receiver?
35. Which of the following is the approximate open-circuit voltage produced by a fully-illuminated silicon photovoltaic cell?
36. What usually occurs if a Yagi antenna is designed solely for maximum forward gain?
37. What type of wave has a rise time significantly faster than its fall time (or vice versa)?
38. When a meteor strikes the Earth's atmosphere, a cylindrical region of free electrons is formed at what layer of the ionosphere?
39. What is digital time division multiplexing?
40. What is meant by the term op-amp input-offset voltage?
41. In polar coordinates, what is the impedance of a network consisting of a 400-ohm-reactance inductor in parallel with a 300-ohm resistor?
42. Why might a DX station state that they are listening on another frequency?
43. What is the approximate physical length of an air-insulated, parallel conductor transmission line that is electrically one-half wavelength long at 14.10 MHz?
44. With your transceiver displaying the carrier frequency of phone signals, you hear a DX station's CQ on 14.349 MHz USB. Is it legal to return the call using upper sideband on the same frequency?
45. Which of the following procedures is an important precaution to follow when connecting a spectrum analyzer to a transmitter output?
46. What do the terms L band and S band specify with regard to satellite communications?
47. How much gain does a 1/2-wavelength dipole in free space have compared to an isotropic antenna?
48. What is the usable frequency range of inductors that use toroidal cores, assuming a correct selection of core material for the frequency being used?
49. When may an automatically controlled station retransmit third party communications?
50. What is the most common data rate used for HF packet communications?
Warning! You skipped 0 question(s).